Quick start guide for installting Intrexx 20.03 and upgrading to Intrexx 20.03
The following guide provides an overview of the most important steps that need to be taken when installing Intrexx 20.03 for the first time.
Equally, it describes the most important steps when upgrading from 18.03
(or an older version)
to Intrexx 20.03
(If you are upgrading from Intrexx 19.03 or 19.09 to Intrexx 20.03, you will have performed the steps described here when you upgraded to Intrexx 19.03 or 19.09.)
The guide can serve as a checklist during the installation process.
This guide assumes that you are using a Windows
and the Microsoft IIS
(Internet Information Services)
as the front-end web server.
The guide also assumes that you are already familiar with Intrexx.
Please note that you need to start with preparational steps "outside of" Intrexx.
You can only successfully upgrade Intrexx once these have been taken.
Do you have an SSL certificate already?
If you do not, purchase or create a certificate.
(You need this to set up an encrypted connection [HTTPS] between the browser and your portal.
An unencrypted connection [HTTP] is no longer allowed.)
Define the website (hostname) in the DNS (Domain Name Service)
Define the hostnames assigned in IIS (or NGINX) in the DNS (cf. "5. Configure IIS").
If you are running multiple portals, each portal requires its own DNS entry.
Set up IIS
IIS is part of the operating system. Therefore, it only needs to be set up and not installed.
(NGINX can be used as an alternative to IIS in a Linux environment.)
Add features in IIS
- .NET Extensibility 4.6 (4.5 is also adequate)
- ASP.NET 4.6 (4.5 is also adequate)
- ISAPI extensions
- ISAPI filters
- Install the IIS Web Platform Installer in IIS
- Install ARR and URL Rewrite in IIS
Configure IIS & create the website
- Set up IIS as the reverse proxy (in ARR)
- Add websites in IIS (one website for each live portal).
(Websites replace "virtual directories".
These cannot be used in conjunction from Intrexx 19.03 onwards.)
- Select "https" as the binding type.
- Enter a hostname for the website.
(The portal can be accessed in the browser via the hostname.)
- Select an SSL certificate.
(You set up an encrypted connection to your portal in doing so.)
Perform the upgrade to Intrexx 20.03
Configure portal properties
Apply the following settings in the Intrexx portal properties:
Web configuration > Web connector
Web configuration > Front-end web server (= reverse proxy)
- Host - Enter "localhost" here.
- Port - The port that you used in the previous version of Intrexx is shown here. You can leave this port as it is.
- Context - Leave this field blank.
Web configuration > HTTPS
- Type - Internet Information Server
- Host - Do not make any changes here.
- Website - Select the website that you added to IIS for your portal in the last step.
- Virtual directory - Leave this field blank.
Virtual directories are not supported from Intrexx 19.03 onwards.
If you used virtual directories in Intrexx 18.03, then you need to create
a website in IIS for each virtual directory.
Select the website in the "Website" field (see above) and remove the virtual directory
specification in the "Virtual directory" field.
(This area refers to the encrypted connection between Intrexx and IIS.)
No encryption (not recommended) - Select this option.
This option is only not recommended if you do not use IIS or a reverse proxy.